London Strobist Meetup. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Friday 29 April 2011

Our sparkly new Critique Night

Many of you will already know from the May Social thread on our Flickr page that we are planning our first ever critique session.  It seems we take a whole lot of pictures, put them on Flickr and get a couple of "oohs" and "aaahs" and then forget about them.  Well it's time to see if we can do something a little differently.  We shoot. We have socials. So lets put the two together and see if we're still all talking to each other at the end of it!

The idea is that you are invited to submit up to four images that will be discussed by a selected panel of "judges" for want of a better word.  Preferably the format of your images will be print, but we are equally happy for you email images through to us which we can then view on a screen.

So, what are we looking for and looking at?  As a very loose guide and in no particular order, the composition and general aesthetics of the image.  What emotion, if any, is evoked. Is it original ("Is anything?" I hear you yawn)? Then, the technical side.  How was it lit?  How might it have been lit? What could have been done differently.  What is the interaction like between the subject and the photographer?  And then all these elements put together, does the image work or not?

Please let me know if you want to submit some images. It's fine if you just want to come along for the "entertainment,"  but we need images for the event to work, so c'mon, get involved and don't be shy.

We're quite excited by this social. I really hope it is a success and something we can keep up. So please let me know if you want to participate and if you will be bringing in prints or submitting electronic images.  If you are doing the latter I would ideally like to receive them before the end of next weekend so that I can get them onto my laptop and into lightroom.  This will just save time on the night.

Any questions? Please email me on jonathandawes@gmail.com

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue."   Dorothy Parker.

No comments:

Post a Comment